Thursday, November 18, 2010

Is it Important to have a Civil Ceremony (or in the hetero world, a "real" wedding)?

This question has plagued me for some time. My answer to it is only 80% clear (not bad for an intellectualizing type like myself) ;)

As it stands, we are planning both a civil ceremony and a wedding (i.e. our own ceremony and reception, but in the states with no legal recognition).

So why the civil ceremony? Well, my partner and I are both in the legal-field, so the law means something to us. Even if we can't be legally wed in our state, we want to have it all--that means a legal ceremony wherever we can get it. Our choice: Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Good, eh?

So why the wedding? Because we shouldn't let the law keep us from living the lives we want. Just because your mom told you not to jump in the pool right after eating doesn't mean you need to listen. Our government can (and is at times) stupid, hurtful, and cruel. The US stance on gay marriage (and the treatment of GLBTQI people in general) is an example of this cruelty. I choose love in the shape that it came to me--a smart, kind, funny, loving, interesting, dynamic, inspiring woman. My wedding is to proclaim my love and commitment to this amazing person and to ask my community for their support in our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me someone is out there! :) i.e. feel free to leave your comments here.