Friday, November 5, 2010

So Long "Intimate" Wedding....or does it have to be gone?

When we first started planning our wedding I thought we'd have 60 guests. My partner said 75. My family is small...very small...like 10 people small. My relatives live abroad and I think 2 will show. My partner on the other hand has the family from the movies...big...very big...like 50 people.

Still, I knew when I proposed that, unless we only invited immediate family, this was not going to be a small soiree. What I didn't realize was that after her mom had the invitation list, it would jump to 230 people. Say what?!?! Nope, that's no type. two-hundred-and-thirty people! After much thinking, we decided we were okay with this massive jump in numbers. First, there's something about feeling like especially being a same-sex couple, the more the merrier. In other words, being gay has sometimes felt isolating to me. Christmas party where Grandma always announced the latest and greatest tales of her grandchildren always makes me nervous...because our relationship is never an announcement. Introductions...will I be the roommate or the girlfriend? You get the idea. The bottom line for me is that if my future mother-in-law wants 150+ people to know her daughter is gay and marrying me, then bring it on! My hope for our future is that I wont have to feel nervous at Christmas parties and introductions...at least not as nervous...because there's a good chance they were at my wedding!

Still, I want to create an intimate feeling for my (very small) family. I'm still working on ideas for how to do this, but here are some starter ideas:

(1) have a smaller family "ceremony" where we talk to each member in our family and share a personal story and thanks.

(2) have a civil ceremony that's only immediate family.

(3) have a head table at the reception...even if some people say it's old-fashioned

Any other ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me someone is out there! :) i.e. feel free to leave your comments here.